First State Robotics is a Delaware 501(c)(3) nonprofit that fosters a love of science and technology by engaging students in the engineering design process and in robotics competitions while promoting the core value of gracious professionalism.
Gracious Professionalism is a way of doing things that encourages high-quality work, emphasizes the value of others, and respects individuals and the community. Created in 2001, we inspire and motivate young people to extend learning beyond the classroom in order to-
• Develop and pursue interests in science, engineering, and technology
• Become confident, independent, and responsible
• Use creative thinking and problem-solving to make a difference in the world
Our robotics programs and affiliate partners impact students of all ages:
• Jr. FIRST® LEGO® League (Jr.FLL®) – grades k to 4
• FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL®) – grades 5 to 8
• FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC®) – high school
• FIRST® Robotics Competition (FRC®) – high school
Our annual local and statewide competition events are free and open to the public.
To view non-profit approval and documents of incorporation, click here.
In a News Journal article November 19, Robots to the rescue
, reporter Molly Murray wrote about current real-world applications using robots in education, science and exploration, as well as security and industry. Adult mentors and students of DuPont and FSR sponsored team, MOE365
, working at their build site on DuPont’s Barley Mill campus, were one prominent focus of her story.
She also spoke with FSR board members, Karen O’Brien and board president, Peggy Vavalla, as well as two FSR partners– directors of Delaware’s FTC, FLL and JFLL programs– Eric Cheek and Teshenia Hughes about robots as an educational tool.
Working with Cheek at DSU, Hughes became involved in development of elementary and middle school LEGO League teams. “My passion changed. I believe in it,” she said.
To see the article and video interview with MOE students, visit News Journal’s site here.
EXPO events are around the corner! Our youngest teams are already registered and hard at work on their projects. This year, First State JrFLL is sponsoring 5 Jr.FLL EXPO events, including one in partnership with St. Mary Magdalen School in Wilmington that will highlight STEM in parochial schools. JrFLL teams only attend one EXPO Event each year.
The locations for 2014-2015 JrFLL EXPOs are:
- December 13, 2014, Sanford School, 6900 Lancaster Pike, Hockessin, DE
– January 3, 2015, Oxford Area High School, 705 Waterway Rd., Oxford, PA
– January 17, 2015, Delaware State University, 1200 North Dupont Highway, Dover, DE
– February 14, 2015, Delaware State University, 1200 North Dupont Highway, Dover, DE
– Late February/Early March, Saint Mary Magdalen School, 9 Sharpley Road, Wilmington,DE
Permission forms and information are available from FSJFLL here.
First State Robotics and FRC team #365 the Miracles of Engineering (MOE) would like to remind new FLL teams about a way to help pay beginner’s costs for 2014-15… and it doesn’t involve ICE or BUCKETS. It is through their rookie team sponsorship program.
First Year Teams will receive a $100 sponsorship and Second Year Teams will receive a $50 sponsorship.
To see if you are eligible and to find out more about applying for MOE sponsorship, please visit the website FSFLL.org.