What happens at a JrFLL Expo? They are fun-filled events celebrating young students STEM work on this year’s challenge–Creature Craze. This year FS JrFLL is hosting 3 Jr.FLL EXPO Events:
- January 28, 2017 @ Early College High School at Delaware State University, 1570 North Dupont Highway, Dover, DE 19901
- February 25, 2017 @ Delaware State University, 1200 North Dupont Highway, Dover, DE 19901
- March 11, 2017 @ Saint Mary Magdalen School, 9 Sharpley Road, Wilmington, DE
* The Jr. FLL EXPO event at Saint Mary Magdalen is being used to highlight STEM in parochial schools. First preference will be given to parochial schools. It will be a 32 team event. We are anticipating 20-24 of those teams to be St. Mary Magdalen teams. The remaining available slots will be open to other teams!!!
What about First State FIRST LEGO League team events? They are exciting opportunities to showcase your project, team work, engineering, and computer coding skills to panels of judges– then race against the clock to see which robots can post the highest scores. This year’s challenge is called Animal Allies.
FS FLL will host 3 Qualifying Events this season. Each team can only register & attend one Qualifier Event. This year’s locations for the Qualifiers are
- Dec. 10, 2016 @ Conrad Schools of Science, 201 Jackson Ave., Wilmington, DE 19804
- Jan. 14, 2017 @ Junior Achievement of Delaware, 522 South Walnut Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
- Jan. 28, 2017 @ Early College High School @ Delaware State University, 1570 North DuPont Highway, Dover, DE 19901
A number of teams from each Qualifier will advance to the Champion’s Tournament.
The Champion’s Tournament will take approximately 36 teams and is scheduled for February 25, 2017 at Delaware State University.
For more information visit the First State FLL and JFLL website here.
Carol Perrotto- 2016 Woodie Flowers Award Finalist
Last April 16, at the Mid-Atlantic Robotics District Championship
held at Lehigh University,
longtime MOE FRC mentor and FSR board member, Carol Perrotto, was named the mid-Atlantic region’s 2016 finalist for the prestigious Woodie Flowers award. In addition to her role as team mentor, Carol has served on the board of Mid-Atlantic Robotics and as referee and head referee at regional and international FRC events.
This award recognizes and celebrates “effective communication in the art and science of engineering and design and mentors who lead, inspire and empower using excellent communication skills.”
Students across the world can nominate a mentor for consideration– someone who has done an outstanding job of motivation through communication while also challenging them to be clear and succinct as well as to recognize the value of communication. Each year regional and district finalists vie for the Woodie Flowers Award (WFA) which is presented to one winner at the FIRST World Championship.
We are so fortunate in our high caliber of mentors here in Delaware. Over the years, four FSR mentors have received the finalist award and, in 2011, John Larock was named World Champion Woodie Flowers Award Winner.
Woodie Flowers Finalist Awards from FSR
- 2004 – Joe Perrotto
- 2005 – Lou Rosanio
- 2006 – John Larock
- 2016 – Carol Perrotto
From FIRST July Newsletter-
China Genwright, 2016 FIRST VISTA Volunteer award
On June 24, 2016, FIRST VISTA member China Genwright was recognized for her outstanding work as an AmeriCorps VISTA in Delaware and the District of Columbia over the past two years during the third annual FedServe Inter-Agency STEM Volunteer Fair in Washington, DC. She was described as a role model to other college grads, but we also know she is an amazing coach, event organizer, camp leader and more. Congratulations, China!
Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 8 and we want to remind our supporters to sign up and shop at smile.amazon.com… When you do, Amazon will donate a percent to First State Robotics. AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know… same products, prices, service.
Your donations will go to support activities, such as our FLL Rookie Team Sponsorship Program which helps new FIRST LEGO League teams in Delaware get up and running.
- Sign up is simple. Use the link below to be directed to great Mother’s Day gift ideas in support of First State Robotics.
- Share the link with friends and family. Every dollar helps!
AmazonSmile Mother’s Day Link: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/charity/homepage.html?orig=%2Fgp%2Fbrowse.html%3Fnode%3D502659011&ein=20-0613902
Thank you for helping to support our amazing kids and dedicated volunteers!
Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to First State Robotics Incorporated whenever you shop on AmazonSmile.