Delaware kicked off its 2016-17 FLL competition season last Saturday, December 10 with the annual qualifier event at Conrad School of Science and Technology in Wilmington. This year’s theme, Animal Allies, was on display with team projects and in the robot-based challenges. Fourteen teams competed for the title Champion, and seven were chosen to move ahead to compete at the Delaware State FLL Championship in Dover next February 25. More about upcoming qualifiers and the state Championship can be found here.
Rachel Hannaford, MOE FRC alumni and past team webmaster, cheery as ever, volunteered at the Conrad School of Sciences FLL competition in Wilmington last Saturday where her dad Peter Hannaford, along with Beth Blohm, coordinate and host the popular annual event. While Rachel served as referee and behind the scenes organizer—both jobs were easy fits since she is currently working as an AmeriCorp VISTA member with the regional FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) robotics program in Gainesville, Florida.
What happens at a JrFLL Expo? They are fun-filled events celebrating young students STEM work on this year’s challenge–Creature Craze. This year FS JrFLL is hosting 3 Jr.FLL EXPO Events:
- January 28, 2017 @ Early College High School at Delaware State University, 1570 North Dupont Highway, Dover, DE 19901
- February 25, 2017 @ Delaware State University, 1200 North Dupont Highway, Dover, DE 19901
- March 11, 2017 @ Saint Mary Magdalen School, 9 Sharpley Road, Wilmington, DE
* The Jr. FLL EXPO event at Saint Mary Magdalen is being used to highlight STEM in parochial schools. First preference will be given to parochial schools. It will be a 32 team event. We are anticipating 20-24 of those teams to be St. Mary Magdalen teams. The remaining available slots will be open to other teams!!!
What about First State FIRST LEGO League team events? They are exciting opportunities to showcase your project, team work, engineering, and computer coding skills to panels of judges– then race against the clock to see which robots can post the highest scores. This year’s challenge is called Animal Allies.
FS FLL will host 3 Qualifying Events this season. Each team can only register & attend one Qualifier Event. This year’s locations for the Qualifiers are
- Dec. 10, 2016 @ Conrad Schools of Science, 201 Jackson Ave., Wilmington, DE 19804
- Jan. 14, 2017 @ Junior Achievement of Delaware, 522 South Walnut Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
- Jan. 28, 2017 @ Early College High School @ Delaware State University, 1570 North DuPont Highway, Dover, DE 19901
A number of teams from each Qualifier will advance to the Champion’s Tournament.
The Champion’s Tournament will take approximately 36 teams and is scheduled for February 25, 2017 at Delaware State University.
For more information visit the First State FLL and JFLL website here.