First State Robotics is a Delaware 501(c)(3) nonprofit that fosters a love of science and technology by engaging students in the engineering design process and in robotics competitions while promoting the core value of gracious professionalism.
Gracious Professionalism is a way of doing things that encourages high-quality work, emphasizes the value of others, and respects individuals and the community. Created in 2001, we inspire and motivate young people to extend learning beyond the classroom in order to-
• Develop and pursue interests in science, engineering, and technology
• Become confident, independent, and responsible
• Use creative thinking and problem-solving to make a difference in the world
Our robotics programs and affiliate partners impact students of all ages:
• Jr. FIRST® LEGO® League (Jr.FLL®) – grades k to 3
• FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL®) – grades 4 to 8
• FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC®) – grades 7 to 12
• FIRST® Robotics Competition (FRC®) – high school
Our annual local and statewide competition events are free and open to the public.
To view non-profit approval, documents of incorporation, and tax returns, click here.
What happens at a JrFLL Expo? They are fun-filled events celebrating young students STEM work on this year’s challenge–Creature Craze. This year FS JrFLL is hosting 3 Jr.FLL EXPO Events:
- January 28, 2017 @ Early College High School at Delaware State University, 1570 North Dupont Highway, Dover, DE 19901
- February 25, 2017 @ Delaware State University, 1200 North Dupont Highway, Dover, DE 19901
- March 11, 2017 @ Saint Mary Magdalen School, 9 Sharpley Road, Wilmington, DE
* The Jr. FLL EXPO event at Saint Mary Magdalen is being used to highlight STEM in parochial schools. First preference will be given to parochial schools. It will be a 32 team event. We are anticipating 20-24 of those teams to be St. Mary Magdalen teams. The remaining available slots will be open to other teams!!!
What about First State FIRST LEGO League team events? They are exciting opportunities to showcase your project, team work, engineering, and computer coding skills to panels of judges– then race against the clock to see which robots can post the highest scores.
FS FLL will host 3 Qualifying Events this season. Each team can only register & attend one Qualifier Event. This year’s locations for the Qualifiers are
- Dec. 10, 2016 @ Conrad Schools of Science, 201 Jackson Ave., Wilmington, DE 19804
- Jan. 14, 2017 @ Junior Achievement of Delaware, 522 South Walnut Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
- Jan. 28, 2017 @ Early College High School @ Delaware State University, 1570 North DuPont Highway, Dover, DE 19901
A number of teams from each Qualifier will advance to the Champion’s Tournament.
The Champion’s Tournament will take approximately 36 teams and is scheduled for February 25, 2017 at Delaware State University.
For more information visit the First State FLL and JFLL website here.
What is Velocity Vortex?
It might be the most exciting FIRST Tech Challenge yet… And its worldwide online reveal was today! Check out the video below and get your team registered and ready to go. Competition events begin in a few short months!
Info about starting a Delaware team here.
This season, FIRST LEGO League (FLL) and FIRST LEGO League Jr. challenges youngsters to create new ways to help animals.
FLL students (grades 4-8) choose a problem and learn more about it. They also design and build a LEGO robot that scores points by helping animals in several mini environments. Their challenge is called Animal Allies.
FLLJr students (grades K-3) begin by exploring the life of a honeybee and the animals who live nearby.Their challenge is called Creature Craze.
In FLL, think about all the different ways that people interact with animals…. on purpose or by accident?
- Pick a situation when people and animals interact.🐬
- Identify a specific problem you want to solve.🐂
- Find out about the current solutions. Why does this problem still exist? 🐘
- Talk to experts to learn about your problem.🐓
- Design a possible solution You can improve something old or create something new.🐀
- Get the word out and share your plan with others in the community.🐪
- Present your team’s research and solution at an FLL competition.🐋
In FLLJr, chose an animal to learn more about…. It’s life, it’s environment, it’s challenges. Can you think of a solution?
- Build a LEGO model to show what you learned. 🐝
- Share your new knowledge and ideas with others.🐎
No matter what, remember to have fun! 😃